PROJECT/PROGRAM MANAGER EPC
LAWRENCE L STEWART
833 Vermillion Peak Pass
Lexington, Kentucky 40515
Seeking senior level responsibilities executing projects for EPC companies executing projects for custom engineered process, municipal infrastructure, and power generation systems. My proven abilities as a performance-driven manager with excellent communication, team building, planning, engineering, and problem solving skills will substantially contribute to my employer's success. My hands on experience gained from the diverse projects described in the appended Project Summaries, provides me with cross- functional knowledge that applies to on-time, on-budget, on-contract delivery for all Engineer, Procure, and Construct projects, particularly hard dollar LSTK contracts.
Qualified for increasing levels of responsibilities, authority, and accountability:
* Proven performance that positively contributes to my organization’s success, applying lean management practices,
* Versatile in EPC systems gained from positions in sales, engineering, and operations:
- Able to manage and integrate the various systems and equipment provided by numerous vendors, contractors, and engineers into a reliable operational plant on time and in budget,
- Expert at optimizing system design engineering, integrating best mix of technology and cost, incorporating incremental improvements, and transformational innovations,
- Skilled at directing multi-discipline teams to accomplish overall project and corporate goals,
- Conversant with equipment and subsystems that comprise power plants, e.g. coal fired generating stations, gas fired turbine-generators, HRSG, transformers, switchgear, pumps, controls, etc.,
- Adept at mentoring team members and presenting them with opportunities to excel,
- In-depth experience managing and writing winning proposals and contracts;
- Performed commercial review and risk assessment, prepared commercial documentation and technical specifications for LSTK EPC projects,
- Personally negotiated high value hard dollar contracts- Largest single purchase, $30MM gas turbines, largest sale $121MM,
- Managed following functions: Project, Procurement, Construction, Contract, Transportation,
* Experienced in selecting and managing third party engineering, construction and testing companies,
* Participated in Build, Own, Operate, and Maintain Contracts, BOOM,
* Extensive experience in start-up and reorganization of companies and departments,
* Dedicated to professional integrity and best effort,
* Leadership by example and mentoring ability to enable the best performance from my group,
* Coauthored/presented three papers on electrostatic precipitators at international technical symposia.
Eco Power Solutions (USA) Corp. (pre-revenue start-up company) 2012-2013
VICE PRESIDENT, PROJECTS– oversee daily business activities of EPS projects, formulate budgets and forecasts to deliver booked and recognized top and bottom line financial results, including contribution to earnings; and maintain/mentor qualified and skilled project staff to successfully execute projects.
* Set up construction procedures, means and methods for retrofitting EPS Systems for minimum interference to generating stations operations, optimized logistic and work flow for earliest completion without premium,
* Performed due diligence report of product design and process for CEO to determine required improvements to meet the requirements of the market. Initiated and oversaw program to incorporate state of the art materials of construction that produced a 50% reduction in costs against a targeted 20% for system reengineering.
H2GoEnergySystems, LLC (pre-startup company) 2009 - 2012
OWNER & VICE PRESIDENT OF ENGINEERING– Design and develop innovative engineered solutions for efficient hydrogen fuel generation and energy storage.
* Conceptualized H2Goes disruptive/radical innovations to rearrange how energy is handled using proven commercial-off-the-shelf equipment and processes to effectively extract energy and power from naturally existing phenomena.
* Hold provisional patent for novel process to generate high pressure hydrogen for DOE standard.
* Designed integrated system combining renewable energy with process to generate power and water, particularly adaptable to exploitation of large-scale stranded renewables.
* Hold patents for ten (10) innovations for improvements to conventional wind farm technology, more than double the MW/acre power generation for same cost as conventional technology.
* Concept developed for energy storage at less cost than conventional pumped storage systems.
* Developed concept to solve water problems associated with solar power facilities sited in arid regions.
Synthetic Materials, LLC (new LOB for EPC construction project) 2007- 2008
PROJECT DIRECTOR– Direct EPC Projects for FGD Gypsum Dewatering Facilities
Directed LSTK EPC projects for gypsum recovery facilities from flue gas desulfurization (FGD) systems at three (3) coal fired generation stations, 2568 MW total.
* Doubled the projects' bottom line
* Personally implemented cost cutting redesign of the buildings,
* Purchased major equipment and subcontracts below budget
* Negotiated and secured $4M in high margin change orders
* Designed and set up all project reports and controls to conform to Contract from scratch.
* Zero HSE incidents
Pan Gulf Consulting Group, LLC (new LOB for power plant construction) 2001-2007
PROJECT MANAGER– Manage EPC Projects for Power Generation, HVAC Systems, and Infrastructure.
* Managed LSTK EPC 7.5 MW Combustion Turbine Cogeneration Project, demolition to commissioning, retrofitted within an operating Petroleum Refinery located in Los Angeles, California.
- Met all performance guarantees first test series.
- First zero ammonia slip SCR operating in California.
* Managed LSTK Changeout of12,000 ton Chiller System for world class hotel in downtown Los Angeles with no interruption to hotel operation,
* Managed infrastructure renovation and expansion of utilities for a world class resort/residential community in the Caribbean, including power generation, water, sewerage, fire protection, and communication,
* Zero loss time accidents achieved for all projects.
United States Naval Academy, BSME, top 1/4 of class – Mechanical Engineering and Management
USN Nuclear Power School; Officers' Submarine School – Systems Engineering
American Management Associations Executive Management Course – Applied Management
American Association of Cost Engineering, International – Member
American Wind Energy Association – Member
Project Management Institute – Member
United States Navy, qualified in submarines, earned the rank of Lieutenant within three years from commission.
• Established a reputation as a results oriented manager, demonstrated by performance as:
- Supply Officer & First Lieutenant– "Outstanding" on annual supply and salvage inspections;
- Weapons Officer– captured the Squadron Fire Control "E"
• Commanding Officer, Naval Reserve Ship Reinforcement Unit AOG-248, Elizabeth, New Jersey. Unit recommended for Letter of Commendation.
COGENERATION PLANT– Pan Gulf
Managed turnkey installation of Combustion Turbine Cogeneration Facility, built inside an operating petroleum refinery located in Paramount, California, subject to California and Los Angeles County codes. Plant was engineered for 7.5 MW electrical power and 60,000 PPH steam generation. Installed to operate at 200 psi steam, facility incorporated design for 600 psi future combined cycle operation. Project involved demolition, excavation and soils improvement, plant proper, and sound enclosures. Combustion turbine, generator, steam generator, and deNOx system met all required performance guarantees. First zero ammonia slip SCR installed in California. Zero lost time EHS incidents.
Included in project management responsibilities, performed:
* Engineering review and coordination of all equipment and interfaces to insure system compatibility, performance guarantee compliance, and adherence to California structural design requirements and County of Los Angeles building codes.
* Design coordination among vendors of the combustion turbine, heat recovery steam generator, duct burner, and emissions control system to insure all design requirements met at the two operating conditions, 200 psi and 600 psi.
* Subcontractor/supplier sourcing, specifications and scope documents, bid negotiation, contract award, and contract management, and contractor supervision.
* Site management of demolition, soil conditioning, civil, electrical, and mechanical subcontractors.
* Site coordination/support of vendor commissioning engineers/technicians.
CHILLER PLANT – Pan Gulf
Managed and supervised the LSTK EPC change-out of a rooftop 1200 ton chiller plant in central Los Angeles, including design, engineering, procurement, permitting, accounting, invoicing, field supervision, and commissioning. Scope: demolition, new substation and switchgear, temporary chilling, centrifugal chillers, cooling towers, condenser and chilled water pumps, piping, vibration and sound isolation, and required structural modifications. Power distribution reallocated to prevent existing feed overload. Work required a 500 ton crane. This fixed price turnkey project was performed without interruption to the world class hotel operations and Zero Environmental/Safety/Health incidents.
UTILITIES INFRASTRUCTURE EXPANSION AND UPGRADE– Pan Gulf
For Parrot Cay, a Caribbean Resort Community, directed and performed design, engineering, and procurement for infrastructure expansion including diesel/generator sets, transformers, power control house; and buried communications, electrical, sewer, and water utilities. The water system included potable water plant, water storage tanks, waste treatment, irrigation water, and fire hydrant systems. Conducted load demand study for the phased installation of additional power generation and water treatment capacity. Project demonstrated ability to bring state of the art practices into play with due consideration for the environmental conditions, limited workforce skill levels, and offshore logistics constraints.
COMBUSTION GAS TURBINE PLANTS – Noell
Managed turnkey installation of a 50 MW CGT power plant for Northern California Power Authority at Lodi, CA. Facility included combustion turbine generator (designed for natural gas/propane firing), heat recovery steam generator, absorption chiller (for cooling turbine intake air for increased power output), RO water plant and storage, step up transformers, switchgear, controls system, control house, black start system, fire water storage, fire suppression system, leak detection system, and site preparation.
Managed turnkey installation of a 50 MW CGT power plant for Turlock Irrigation District at Modesto, CA. Facility included combustion turbine generator (designed for natural gas/propane firing), heat recovery steam generator, absorption chiller (for cooling turbine intake air for increased power output), RO water plant and storage, step up transformers, switchgear, controls system, power house to enclose CGT, control room, and office facilities, black start system, fire water storage, fire suppression system, leak detection system, and site preparation.